Saturday, January 9, 2010

CBS boss weighs in on Moonlight’s possible RESURRECTION


Uplifting news today, my friends! Matt Mitovich asked Nina Tassler about the possible return of Moonlight. She admits to discussing it with Joel Silver recently! Also, not surprisingly, Tassler says CBS wants to hang onto Alex O'Loughlin.

I find it funny that she makes the exact same point we've been screaming since our series was canceled........ Namely, CBS could have been in the forefront of the Vampire craze with an established show, amazing cast & writers, and a hugely popular leading man in Alex! Instead, they made the unbelievable decision to cancel Moonlight *sigh*

You have done such an excellent job of keeping Moonlight alive in the thoughts of entertainment reporters/bloggers, network exes, Silver Productions, Warner Bros, etc etc. Demonstrating how loyal and dedicated Moonlight fans are to our show! I am so proud of you :)

For those who want to join in sending postcards, letters and emails, I have posted the addresses for the WB, Silver Productions, et al in previous posts on my blog.

CBS Boss Weighs In On ‘Moonlight’s Possible Resurrection
by Matt Webb Mitovich

Will CBS jump on the bloodsucking bandwagon and bring ‘Moonlight‘ back to life?

Sources tell Fancast that one of the former vampire drama’s producers and a few original cast members have been approached by CBS and producer Warner Bros. TV about making another go of it.

And really, who could blame CBS for now second-guessing its decision to snuff the series two years ago, given the success of the ‘Twilight’ movies, HBO’s ‘True Blood‘ and now The CW’s ‘Vampire Diaries‘?

Fancast asked CBS entertainment president Nina Tassler about the latest buzz, and whether ‘Moonlight 2.0′ could serve as a means to keep the very popular Alex O’Loughlin on the network’s payroll.

“I just want to say one thing – who was out there first with vampires?” she at first responded. “Who was out there first?”

So…? Might Mick St. John resurface for another “bite”?

“['Moonlight' executive producer] Joel Silver and I were talking about it the other day – but we talk about a lot of things,’ Tassler told us. Any possible ‘Moonlight’ rebirth would be a ways down the line, however, seeing as “we’re about to pick up all of our [2010-11 season] pilots,” Tassler stressed.

One way or another, CBS is determined to find a new project for Alex O’Loughlin, whose ‘Three Rivers’ has been canceled, Tassler confirmed on Saturday.

“We love [Alex] and want him to stay around for a long time,” she said.

As for why the organ donation-themed medical drama failed to draw an adequate audience despite the Aussie actor’s ardent and vocal following, she offered, “‘Moonlight’ was a much more [O'Loughlin]-centric show, whereas ‘Three Rivers’ was more of an ensemble.” She then added, “Some shows find their legs earlier than others.”


http://www.fancast.com/blogs/tv-news/cbs-boss-weighs-in-on-moonlights-possible-resurrection/

Photograph ~ Alex O'Loughlin on the red carpet for the premiere of his film, Whiteout (in Los Angeles) ~ photographed by Valerie Macon

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that's encouraging news! Keeping my fingers crossed for a revival of Moonlight. Thank you for keeping your blog ongoing and us updated!

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting for 2 years for this.. Glad I didn't give up.I've been sending emails and letter from time to time. I'm very happy to hear about Moonlight coming back, seeing the whole gang back is going to be great

Anonymous said...

I'll keep my fingers crossed Nina makes a smart decision this time! Thanks for keeping us informed!

Lyn said...

"Some shows find their legs quicker than others" !!! Not at CBS they don't, where nothing is given a chance unless it hits and maintains high double digit million viewers in record time!

I truly hoped they would do this... but it needs to be done FAST or it won't pay off. The vampire wave hit just as Moonlight was cancelled - which was almost 2 years ago now - and it will eventually die down, as everything does. If CBS leave it another season, they will probably be too late to cash in on the current mania which would very likely bring in viewers who ignored (or were unaware of) Moonlight last time.

As for "who was out there first..." it doesn't do you much good to be first on a cash cow opportunity, Nina, if you don't hang in there and reap the rewards.

Margaret said...

Whatever project Alex undertakes next I will tune into and if it's Hawaii Five-O I'll be there even though I never cared much for the original. But I'd like to see a Moonlight movie or mini-series in addition to that. Why can't we have both? Alex is a very talented guy and I understand why he wants to pursue new things but I would like to see more ML as well as long as it continues the with the MickBeth storyline along with the action and the oddities of a human-vampire relationsyhip. It's that core-quirky- Mick loves a human plot that made ML such a delight.

I want both!

Cheryl said...

I've been waiting for the return of Moonlighting. I hate to be kept hanging about a "possible"
romance between Mick and Beth.

Who knew that vampires would be all the rage. Certainly not CBS

Anonymous said...

Yesterday was the first time I ever heard of Moonlight vamp series- and I loved it! I even bought the whole first season. Moonlight is far better than Twilight and True Blood put together- the characters Mick and Beth are very SEXY!!! I cant wait for a season 2,3,4..... Keep it coming.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday was the first time I ever heard of Moonlight vamp series- and I loved it! I even bought the whole first season. Moonlight is far better than Twilight and True Blood put together- the characters Mick and Beth are very SEXY!!! I cant wait for a season 2,3,4..... Keep it coming.

Anonymous said...

Yesterday was the first time I ever heard of Moonlight vamp series- and I loved it! I even bought the whole first season. Moonlight is far better than Twilight and True Blood put together- the characters Mick and Beth are very SEXY!!! I cant wait for a season 2,3,4..... Keep it coming.

Anonymous said...

well, guess that idea's been scraped since now I read on this blog that Alex is set to star in a remake of hawaii five o.....YAWN....another series I will never watch......yep, cbs hasn't changed a bit- run by super morons who consistently make horrible decisions.....way to go

Sarah said...

Hi guys! I'm a fan of Alex and I´m from Brazil, so, i don´t know if my english is good enough (lol), but all i have to say is that I love Alex, I love MOONLIGHT and I always will be supporting him and his shows. Love you guys for all the support to moonlight.
Thanks for the blog, and I'll be waiting for the 2nd season of our Moonlight, that is a great news!!!
Lot of Kisses from Brazil!!!

Anonymous said...

Please do bring back moonlight it's way better then these other vamp tv shows that are on now. what was cbs thinking?

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for ages for Moonlight to come back! My mum who is 60 is also hooked on it! I think its way better then any other Vampire series or movie! Bring it back!!!

Margaret said...

On rereading Nina Tassler's comments, it's clear she does NOT understand why people loved Moonlight to begin with. While Mick was the central character, and Alex O'Loughlin brought him to life as no one else ever could, the show itself was so much fun because of the great ensemble cast. The core appeal of the show was the MickBeth romance so charmingly portrayed by AOL and SM. Anyone who has watched the original pilot can plainly see why (except for Alex) the entire cast had to be changed. They didn't work, didn't GEL as the new cast did. Without that special cast it wouldn't have worked.

Nor does Nina Tassler get why Three Rivers didn't make it-which was because they failed to develop character backgrounds right away so people would want to follow them through the plots to come.

She's got the basics-AOL is a great guy and a very talented actor, but she isn't seeing the whole picture, I fear.

Anonymous said...

I really liked moonlight and hope they bring it back i got REALLY upset when they cancelled it .
when i got the serires dvd recently ive watch it over and over (especially episode 13 its my fav) i can wait to see a season 2 but sadly i doubt we ever will 'cause its been 2 years alot of people (even ones who watched it) don't remember moonlight. but reruns are shown sometimes 9manily around hakkoween) on syfy.

Bronwyn said...

I hate that they didn't bring moonlight back once the vampire faze hit. Now they've pretty much missed their chance, and even though there's still heaps of fans out there waiting for cbs to realise their mistake and make more seasons, cbs won't make new seasons just after the vampire craze. It's so frustrating that they just ended such a great series that still had so many seasons left in it, because the show worked so well. I wish cbs had had enough sense to keep the show running, or at least start it up again when the other vamp shows got popular. It's still my favourite series though and I have futile hope they will come to their senses and make MANY more seasons in the future. :(