Monday, November 26, 2007

Daemon's TV Interviews Alex O'Loughlin

Daemon's TV web site has another lovely interview with Alex O'Loughlin. Some of the questions we have seen before, but still a great read. Alex is candid and funny, as usual. :)

He honestly admits that he has been unable to get an answer from either Nina Tassler nor Les Moonves about if the show will be picked up. BOO! They discuss which actors are inspirations, what drew him to the character of Mick, his opinion on MickBeth, Josef and more. LOVE that Alex says of Moonlight "...we own the demographic..." That's right!

Kim, the CBS publicist that was involved in the interview, suggested that Moonlight fans should send garlic to the network. Interesting! I like that she wants to help, but worry that she knows something about what CBS has planned for our show. Am I just being paranoid?!

I also worried when Alex said the following ~ "With the current climate in Hollywood, you know I’m unsure about which direction I’ll be going after Christmas. It’s all up in the air, which is very sort of disheartening if you let it in, but you know we’re all just sort of keeping our fingers crossed, though I am reading some film scripts and there’s some good stuff out there, but I’m not attached to anything yet."

Here are a few excerpts that I really enjoyed ~

Daemon's TV:
Speaking of the currently climate of things in Hollywood, I am just curious, are we going to have some kind of ending?

Alex O’Loughlin:
Oh yeah, we’re just killing everyone (laughs) …maybe I shouldn’t give that away (laughs). I’m sorry, I’m joking, of course!

Daemon's TV:
But did you get the chance to have some kind of a wrap up for the first pod and then when things start up again we’ll be fine?

Alex O’Loughlin:
To a certain extent. Let me be the one to tell you right now, I am not going to conduct myself and this character through this series at this stage as though we’re not coming back, because as far as I’m concerned, we are coming back, even though Nina Tassler [CBS President] hasn’t promised me anything, and Les Moonves [President and Chief Executive Officer of CBS], I can’t get him off the golf course to answer his phone. But there are certain things… I’m just thinking about how to answer this…

Daemon's TV:
Let’s put it this way, the reason I’m asking is because shows like “Heroes” reshot their ending to give their 13 episodes an ending point so that until it picks up again people are at least satisfied with the first arc.


Alex O’Loughlin:
Oh, I mean no, people are gonna be totally satisfied. People are going to be salivating, for Moonlight to come back, and that’s what we’re going to deliver because we don’t plan on not coming back. We’ve got a few really epic things that are coming that wrap the end of the series. It’s an ending with no finale. I mean it’s an ending with a bunch of open ended stuff that you’re just going die to know what happens next. There are a couple of points that happen that change the course of the picture, but the world won’t let Moonlight fade away after this. The fans will be rabid. They will demand a re-release, they’ll demand a pickup.

Daemon's TV:
Exactly, you can have the fans ship nuts.


Kim:
Or garlic!!

Daemon's TV:
I’m always interested to hear your take on why someone should pay attention to the show and watch it.

Alex O’Loughlin:
I think it’s a really satisfying show. We own the demographic, and we own the demographic for a reason and that is that people of all ages are enjoying the show. Teenagers to people in their middle ages of life are sitting down watching Moonlight because it’s got so many elements that we turn to. It’s a love story. It’s a story about unrequited love. It’s got incredible action and great fight sequences. It’s got a tormented conflicted protagonist who always goes towards good, well for now, and whose rules are ambiguous and his motives, at times, are ambiguous, and it’s based in a genre that’s really exciting, that’s mysterious, that’s really sexy. CBS hasn’t pulled punches on the show, they’ve allowed us to take it to levels of truth, they’ve allowed us to take it to levels of humanity where network TV can sometimes skimp on because they want it to look better or not be as real or be less sort of confrontational. I just think it’s an all around good show. I think it’s also a show that questions the norm, that questions the beliefs, you know, society’s belief on certain topics. I hope that’s a sort of roundabout answer to your question.

Daemon's TV:
Let’s talk Mick and Beth for a little bit here. You guys have sort of, and I hate to use this pun, but it’s the Moonlighting relationship, it’s the will they won’t they flirtation back and forth, and sometimes it gets closer than others. How long do you think it’s going to be until at least something happens?


Alex O’Loughlin:
Something’s coming up in 11 [episode], that puts a big spinner in the works and affects the way Beth feels about Mick, and also affects the way Mick views Beth. A part of me feels like if anything ever happened between those guys, the show’s over. But then again, I’m not the creator. The unrequited love aspect of the show, the Romeo and Juliet mirror that we constantly provide in Moonlight, I think is an essential part of the drama, of the tension. I mean, in Mick’s mind, there is no way he could ever cross that line, despite how weak the flesh is, despite the feelings that he has for this woman, in his mind, that would be the ultimate sin. He looks at her and it’s so awkward, he looks at her through paternal eyes you know, and if he wants to sleep with her, I mean that’s pretty weird (laughs).

Daemon's TV:
Well he’s her guardian angel, so…

Alex O’Loughlin:
Well yeah, so he really shouldn’t be… (laughs) But you know, you never know, I get surprised from script to script.

Daemon's TV:
There’s a lot of action in the show, and I was wondering if you do your own stunts or if you have a stunt double.

Alex O’Loughlin:
[With a deep “sexy” voice] I do my own stunts baby….(Laughs) No, I do have a stunt double because there are certain things that they won’t let me do. Like they won’t set fire to me. They won’t like let me jump off a 20 story building. There are certain big stunts that it’s just impossible to get insurance to let me do, but for the most part I’d say I do probably 75% of my stuff. I have my own harnesses and my own pads and back protectors. I’m trained in stunt work, I really love it too. The other thing is, you don’t have to shoot around the stunt double’s face, you can just shoot me doing my thing. It makes the show better, until I slip my sciatic nerve and have to work in a back brace, that’s the downside.

You can read the entire interview by using this link ~

http://www.daemonstv.com/2007/11/24/interview-alex-oloughlin-moonlight-cbs/

No comments: