Saturday, November 17, 2007

Matt Roush updates his opinion of Moonlight! :)

I have been reading Matt Roush's reviews and show information on TV Guide's website for years. He is always funny, which I like, informative and intelligent ~ which I also like. :) Normally, I agree with his assessments of shows. Until! When Moonlight first appeared, Matt was none too thrilled. However, he has since changed his opinion of our show. YEA! In his latest "Ask Matt" column, he had the following exchange........

A reader (CA) wrote ~
I am going to preface my question by trying to establish a little street cred. My favorite shows include Veronica Mars, Friday Night Lights, Battlestar Galactica, The Sopranos and The Wire. While I have enjoyed new shows like Dirty Sexy Money and Chuck, there has been one show, to my big surprise, that has become my favorite: Moonlight. I know, the pilot was horrible. I originally checked it out to see alums from Veronica Mars and Alias, but I have stayed because of Alex O'Loughlin. I think he has created a really interesting, layered character, and the show's mythology and character development are really starting to take off. It's a fun guilty pleasure. It's not award-winning TV, but it's a lot of fun with a very charismatic lead. I think critics should give it a second chance. It's the first time I have watched anything on CBS in, like, 10 years. Any news on the prospects of this show given the strike?

Matt replied ~
First off, you don't have to justify your enjoyment of any TV show by listing your priors. It's OK to like Moonlight, and I've been enjoying it more and more by the week. Is it a classic? No. But is Alex O'Loughlin a classic leading man? Absolutely. And the show has grown exponentially more interesting since the "Fever" episode in the desert, when Beth saved Mick's life by letting him feed on her. (How long until she dumps her deadwood DA boyfriend?) I still feel the show is unbalanced by having no one in the supporting cast (including Sophia Myles, who's improving, but not enough) worthy of sharing the screen with O'Loughlin. But the cases have gotten kickier and more interesting, and now that Mick's presumed-dead ex-wife/vampire sire Coraline is finally back in the picture (hardly a surprise, since Shannyn Sossamon has been in the credits all along), things should really start getting interesting. As for Moonlight's future vis-à-vis the strike: Who knows? As in the earlier discussion about Pushing Daisies, I would think CBS should be encouraged enough by Moonlight's steady growth, creatively as well as among viewers, that it's not going to make another Jericho-style mistake and put a stake in this one too hastily. A long and premature hiatus is going to hurt a lot of shows, but Moonlight has cultivated a loyal enough fan base already that I can't imagine CBS won't be eager to feed their need once things get settled.

Of course, I believe that Sophia, Shannyn and Josef do an excellent job with their characters. However, I could not agree more with Matt's assessment of Alex! Thank you for being open minded and giving Moonlight another viewing, Matt. I'm really glad you did. :)

No comments: